On ANZAC Day at 11AM, we present local Paper Moon Radio Theatre Group’s “AFTER ALL – A RADIO PLAY ABOUT GALLIPOLI”
The play was written by Bart Meehan, who has authored the three previous productions from the group and was directed by Tony Turner, the former Head of Drama Studies at the Australian National University in Canberra, who also performs. Other cast members include well known local actors Geoffrey Borny, Chris Zuber, Elaine Noon and Emma Wood.
The story focuses on the relationship of two men, Charley, an educated Anglo Australian from Sydney and Jack, a farmer’s son from Werris Creek in northern New South Wales, following them from training in Egypt, to the trenches of Gallipoli and then St Andrews Hospital in Malta.
The play includes a number of period songs, as well as the poems from Henry Lawson, Eva Dobell and Homer.
Poems used in the play
- Advent 1916 – Eva Dobell
- After all – Henry Lawson
- The Iliad – Homer
Songs used in the play
- (Just like) Starting over – John Lennon
- Down Under – Men at Work
- It’s a long way to Tipperary – Albert Farrington
- Oh how I hate to get up in the morning – Arthur Fields
- Keep the home fires burning – John McCormack
- There’s a long, long trail a’ winding – John McCormack
- Aba daba honeymoon – Arthur Fields
- (Note: Wild Colonial Boy is sung by the cast including Emma Wood, Chris Zuber and Tony Turner)
Recorded at ArtSound Studios, Canberra ACT by Tony Hunter